We are a specialist property law firm based in the heart of London’s West End. We specifically act in connection with property transactions for investor purchasers either domestically or offshore.
Riseam Sharples was created in 1997 by three highly experienced lawyers. The original partners included Colin Riseam (formerly of Farrer & Co), Clive Sharples (formerly of Forsyte Kerman) and David Fok, who was then a Senior Consultant at Cheung, Chan & Chung based in Hong Kong. The original firm was named Riseam Sharples & Fok.
The aim of the business was to specialise in advising Asian and other offshore investors in purchasing London property. The firm commenced business on 1st September 1997 in The Strand and subsequently moved to their current offices in Covent Garden in 1999.
David Fok has now retired from practice but still keeps in touch with Riseam Sharples. Sadly Colin Riseam passed away in 2008. Clive Sharples remains as Senior Partner with over 40 years experience in the property field and 26 years experience in acting for offshore investor purchasers. He is joined by Julia Caveller who became a Partner in January 2007. They are now joined by Manisha Bhati who became Partner from December 2010 and Tom Sharples who joined the Partnership in May 2018. The firm now consists of 41 members of staff, 14 of which are qualified solicitors. In total, Riseam Sharples has approximately 30 fee earners able to assist you with your property matter.
Whilst some of the personnel may have changed over the years and the international scope of its client base has broadened, the ethos of the firm in providing a unique knowledge and understanding in the application of the service it offers with the efficiency expected of a West End law firm has not.
Riseam Sharples remains true to its roots in that it acts primarily within the specialised area for which the firm was originally created in 1997 and the fact that the firm continues to strive is testament to the insight of the original founding partners.
The right choice
We are the right choice because:
- We have a wealth and depth of experience running back in excess of 35 years in Conveyancing and Land Law transactions and 24 years in dealing with offshore investors, particularly in the region of South East Asia.
- Our service is in keeping with the ethos of a West End legal practice in that we are quick, efficient and competitive.
- Our firm has the Law Society’s CQS quality mark accreditation.
- We are members of the Panel for the majority of known lenders within England and Wales but we are also Panel members of numerous banks that operate from South East Asia and are therefore able to assist clients with their loan requirements whether they are based in the UK or the Far East.
- We are Help to Buy panel solicitors and we have a specialist team that are able to assist with Help to Buy mortgages.
- We have a dedicated team of solicitors and staff who are ready and able to assist clients and potential clients regardless of their conveyancing requirements whether it is a purchase, sale, remortgage, transfer of equity etc.
A unique knowledge
We have a unique knowledge because:
- A major part of our business is acting for investors acquiring off-plan properties in the course of construction including multi-unit acquisitions and the sale of contracts prior to completion with many of our clients based offshore. We also deal with purchases, sales and remortgages.
- We are well known by international estate agents and banks and whilst we are recommended by the major developers to act on behalf of purchasers, we are an independent firm and maintain our autonomy.
- We have been involved in the national and international launches of some of the biggest and most prestigious developments in London and the UK and we are very familiar with the structure and practice of the developers. We are able to provide appropriate advice to purchasers at these launches and assist them with on-the-spot exchange of contracts for which most developers offer additional incentives.
- Whilst some law firms deal with off-plan development purchases and some of these might happen to have overseas investment, we have a unique knowledge because our firm is tailored towards dealing with off-plan developments specifically with the overseas investor in mind.
We are able to provide specialist conveyancing because:
- Riseam Sharples solicitors offer a personal relationship throughout the duration of your transaction. We will offer guidance, support and professional advice throughout and work towards responding to any queries we have as soon as reasonably possible. With a dedicated network of other solicitors and staff behind each transaction you are likely to be able to speak with any member of our team who can assist you with your query.
- We are well experienced in acting for both first time and seasoned investors who acquire property off plan who are therefore subject to the strict time constraints imposed by developers and vendors. Our process of preparing our advice and report for various development schemes means that we can easily enable investors to contract within any deadline set.
- Members of our solicitors’ team regularly travel to South East Asia on business enabling us to meet with clients face to face.
- Our experience in acting for investors whether they are based overseas or in the UK means that we can often anticipate our clients’ requirements and we are able to quickly resolve any problems that may arise in the course of a client’s conveyancing transaction.
Your next step
1. Meet the team, 2. Request a call back, 3. Email an enquiry, 4. Call us on +44 (0)20 7836 9555
We are certainly happy to recommend Riseam Sharples for conveyancing as we’ve received very prompt responses and helpful advice from all the different lawyers we’ve had dealings with so far
I would like to express here my warmest appreciation of the assistance you and your colleagues extended to me in the completion of the purchase of the above property, which would not have been so smooth and cost-efficient without the professionalism and dedication of your whole team.
I am more than happy to recommend Riseam Sharples for conveyancing as I received a very prompt response and expert advice from all the personnel (in particular, Miss Julia Caveller) I dealt with at the firm.
I have engaged Julia Caveller of Riseam Sharples to assist me completing the purchase of a 1 bedroom flat at Lanterns Court in 2010. The transaction is very tight in timeframe as it needs to be completed within 1-2 weeks time. To add to it, I am an offshore investor which has no experience in UK property market. Julia has provided her expert advice on how best to complete the transaction within the tight timeframe, and all the available options for me to consider during the transaction. The efficient response has contributed a smooth completion of the deal. I am really impressed.
Karen Oliver and Tom Sharples have been most helpful and responsive and I am happy with their service.
Tom Sharples was recommended to me by a friend, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone myself. Competitive, efficient and no-nonsense service is a breath of fresh air in a UK property transaction.
Being a first time buyer from Hong Kong, I have very little understanding on the process of property purchase in UK. However, your friendly and professional services have cleared my anxiety away. Throughout the process, you kept me informed and explained the procedures well to me. I found your advice helpful and to the point. I was particularly impressed with the assistance from Mr. Tom Sharples in completing my transactions smoothly. Thank you for all you did.
My dealings with Risem Sharples Solicitors have been everything I had been hoping for and more.
Since I am living in Hong Kong and engaged in a demanding banking job, having access to efficient and trustworthy counsel was absolutely critical for me when buying property in London recently. Beyond the faultless and professional legal advise, what really distinguished the service I received from Paul and his team was a constant but succinct and to the point update on the transaction developments. I also frequently received easy to read and well timed letters reminding me what I needed to do, why, and by when. Dealing with RSS really made this transaction hassle-free and I would certainly use them again should I consider buying another property in England.